Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Religion and God the Father



Religion is an extremely touchy topic to speak of.  I think perhaps that it’s because we all have deeply personal and often, strong beliefs.  I don’t think we’re wrong to hold to our beliefs, and my purpose here is not to discourage, criticize, or debase any system of belief or faith.  Faith is one of the things that bring us together, with our faith we laugh, cry, and strengthen each other.  On the flip-side though, we can also drive people apart with our beliefs and faith.  My purpose here is to encourage the former.  To quote C.S. Lewis, he said that faith or belief “is more like a hall out of which doors open into several rooms.  If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted.  But it is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals.  The hall is a place to wait in…. not a place to live in.”  I simply seek to bring you into the hall of faith.  I won’t pretend to not be pleased if you were to follow me into my chosen room of belief.  But my purpose is to help you develop faith, and develop a stronger belief.  C.S. Lewis also said that “IF you are a Christian you do not have to believe that all the other religious are simply wrong all through. . . If you are a Christian, you are free to think that all those religious, even the queerest ones, contain at least some hint of the truth.”

                Central to almost every system of belief is a faith in a God.  But who is He?  It’s a question that people have been asking for a long time.  It’s a question that I’m sure people will continue asking.  If I may, God is our Eternal Father and we His children. And because we are His children, that means He loves us.  I’ve always thought that as a Father, he is intensely interested in our daily activities, much like my own father.  My own father wants nothing more than for me to succeed, and why would God be any different?  God being our Father, created us in His image, so thus He also has a body of flesh and bone, it’s just simply perfected and glorified.  We can even find evidence of this in Genesis 1: 26, where God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness….” We can even see the same law take place today, have you ever seen a dog have a kitten?  Or an apple seed produce a cherry tree, or even a human being have a cow? (Now admittedly I have seen this….)  God created mankind after the pattern of His own body.  More of a reason to love us?  I think so. 
                As our Father, he wants us to communicate with him, and we can do so through prayer.  He wants to hear of our struggles, and our triumphs.  Being at college right now, I can say that my parents love when I call them, except when I’m asking for money, and want to hear of the things going on in my life.  Our Father in Heaven is no different, and wants us to express our fears and our hopes.  He wants to bless us.
                Our Father in Heaven has provided us a way to return to Him after this life through His Son Jesus the Christ.  In the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, it states that “…there is no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ….” (Mosiah 3:17)  It is through the suffering and atonement of Christ that we can return back to live with God, and it is through the atonement of Christ that we can become clean to live in His presence. 
                Getting to know God is a lifelong pursuit, it’s not something that we can do overnight.  It’s a process, and not something that I or anyone else can teach you.  To know God, to gain a relationship with Him, one must first obey His commandments.  When one does that, they must receive knowledge of God, His existence and personality through revelation.  Jesus Christ spoke of this when He asked His disciples, “Whom say ye that I am?”  Simon Peter then boldly proclaimed, “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.”  Whereas to that reply the Savior said, “Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.” (Matt. 16: 15-17)
                 To close, I bear similar testimony.  I can’t convince you that there is a God, or that He is our Father.  But I can bear my own witness that I know that He is there.  That He loves us and cares for us.  I encourage all to gain this knowledge, as I know that it can bless lives and heal broken hearts.  It’s through prayer that we gain a correct understanding of God and His love for us, and I wish you luck in finding that knowledge for yourself.    

No comments:

Post a Comment